Sunday, November 11, 2007

Lazy Sunday

Man oh man, today was such a lazy day. So lazy that I almost forgot my daily entry for today.

Today is the day that the last two weeks have finally caught up with me. Last week, and the week before, I'd been working some crazy hours at the office, often coming in before 7 a.m. and staying until 7 p.m. I haven't had a hectic schedule like this in years and today it kicked me squarely in the pants. I've stayed in bed almost all day, watching movies and surfing the web. In between the movies and the web I've gotten up a handful of times for the bathroom and to find something to eat. I wish I could do this everyday.

Just the other day I had a conversation with someone at work about what we'd do all day if we didn't have to work. She said that at one point in her life, after getting laid off and getting a severance package at a former job, she had an opportunity to take a year off and took it. She said that during week one, she spent some time getting pampered, going to a spa and getting a new haircut. During week two she cleaned her entire house, and on week three she went on vacation with her husband at Lake Arrowhead. On week four, she got bored at home decided to go back to work. She said she didn't know what do during the day to fill the hours - she didn't like hanging out at the mall, she didn't really have a hobby, and I'm guessing she didn't watch a lot of TV either.

I don't know about you but I could find a million things to fill my days. Of course, a portion of those days would be devoted to sheer laziness like today, but there are so many things I'd like to do during the day if I didn't have to work. For example, I'd probably spend an hour or two every day working out. I'd also pursue a number of home improvement projects, like learning how to install wood flooring and ceramic tiles, painting walls, etc. - I'd be a home improvement bad ass and they'd know my name at Home Depot. When not working out or renovating my house, I'd find some time to volunteer. I'd also use the time to pursue other hobbies by taking a photography or ceramics class at the local college. I guess what I'm saying is that even without a job my days would be busy, and instead of being shackled to my desk, I'd be busy doing things I've always wanted to do.

Of course, there'd have to be some kind of travel budget as well - one that would allow me to visit a number of places during the year without going broke or having to take a part-time job to pay for it.

All of this is just a daydream, one that I find myself longing for lately. I've realized lately that life is not about things you acquire but about the things you do to enrich yourself and others around you. Now if only the lottery gods could hear me and give me a few million, I'd be set. For now, I go to work every day and toil in the hopes that this will become a reality in a few years.

No comments: