Monday, November 5, 2007

Foggy Memories

This weekend I joined three groups on NaBloPoMo and have been checking out blogs from those groups. There is some really awesome writing out there, and I am looking forward to discovering new places to visit on the blogsphere. I apologize for anyone coming over to visit this site; in the words of Wayne from Wayne's World, I am not worthy! This blogging business is still a work in progress but I am slowly getting the hang of it.

This morning as I stepped out of the house I encountered a pleasant surprise and was momentarily confused as to where I was: was I in San Francisco or Los Angeles? I haven't seen fog roll around like this in a while.

Seeing the fog reminded me of when I lived in San Francisco. I lived there during the late '80s and early '90s, back when girls shellacked their hair with Aqua Net hairspray in an effort to have bangs shaped like an ocean wave. Ah, those were good times. The problem with having that kind of hairstyle in San Francisco is the combination of fog and wind, which worked throughout the day to make sure the ocean wave on top of your head was decimated to a flat pile of hair by the end of the day. It didn’t matter how much Aqua Net was applied – this is the way most days ended for me in San Fran.

Some days, like Valley temps go past 100 degrees, I miss the fog and cold of San Francisco. I miss taking the BART downtown and visiting Ghiraldelli Square, Fisherman's Wharf, and Union Square. Unlike LA, downtown SF is central to everything, and you could practically walk everywhere in the city. I miss the restaurants most of all: North Beach Pizza, which serves the best slice of pizza you've ever tasted (in my opinion), Plouf, which serves only clams and mussels with a wine sauce, and E&O Trading Company, which has a great Asian fusion menu. Apparently, I've left my stomach, and not my heart, in San Francisco.

No comments: