Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Send in the Clowns

This Halloween we decided to stay home instead of checking out the par-tay in West Hollywood. That's how we usually roll - home by 8 pm on school nights and lights out by 10 pm. I'd be lying to you if I didn't say this also applies to our weekend nights, when our idea of a good time is watching an entire season of shows like The Office. C'mon, you like Dwight K. Schrute, don't you? We think he is hilarious with a capital H.

Tonight we did not have any candy for our neighborhood trick-or-treaters. I've been out of the country for the last three years during Halloween and it escaped me that I should buy something for the kids while I was shopping at Target last weekend. Anyway, I was really scared that some mean kids might egg my house because I didn't have any candy to give out, so I made sure the house lights next to the window were turned off. We didn't want them to even entertain the notion of us having candy, so pretending like we weren't home sounded like a better plan. Luckily, there were plenty of other houses in the neighborhood giving out candy, and our house was not missed.

A funny thing happened tonight while walking El Chuy. First of all, some kids in costume scared Chuy and made him run towards the middle of the street like a little girl. These kids were not dressed like scary monsters, mind you: one was an angel, one was a ninja, and one was a prisoner. Maybe the prisoner kid looked dangerous and scared him off.

A few minutes later some little boy pointed at Chuy and asked, "Is that a raccoon?"

Sure kid. This dog looks exactly like a raccoon. Not a bear, or even a lion, but a raccoon. I was tempted to ask the little boy if he knew what a raccoon looked like but let it pass. Makes you wonder: what are they teaching kids in school these days?

Jester for Hire

No comments: