Tuesday, October 30, 2007

What Not to Wear

A few years ago I bought this cute cashmere sweater: it was cream and had an interesting pattern on the sleeves. Basically, they slit the sleeves in half and sewed it back together at two-inch intervals, with made it look like my sleeves had a pattern.

Anyway, what made me remember this sweater vividly was how I chose to wear it to work the following day. Back then I had not yet discovered the joys of the nude shade of underwear compounded by the fact that the sweater was thinner than I thought. So I went to work with a white bra under a cream sweater. You could totally see the bra under my sweater, so it looked like I meant to advertise the fact that a) I own a white bra, please look at it and b) it's cold in here.

I think I go through these faux-pas moments from time to time, and I might have committed one last week. I went to work wearing this shapeless black dress that I cinched with a skinny belt and paired with opaque purple tights, as seen here:


It looked fine in the morning and I probably wouldn't have thought anything of it except that my boss (technically my boss' boss) gave me the once-over during the day and gave me the look. The that's what you're wearing to work look I dread. For the rest of the day I felt like I lost my pants and kept to my desk as much as possible. It reminded me of the time we shaved Chuy's fur and he looked like he lost his pants. Too bad I don't have a spare pair of pants in my car.

No comments: