Wednesday, January 2, 2008

A Look Back at 2007

This morning I came across this questionnaire and thought it would be a worthwhile exercise. I'm thinking of doing this every year from now on, and maybe you should too.

1. What did you do in 2007 that you’d never done before?

Blogging! I've had the urge to blog since 2006 and have been lurking in several sites prior to starting my own back in July 2007. I have to say that starting a blog seemed complicated at first, but it turned out to be a piece of cake once I set up a Blogger account.

2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?

I didn’t make any resolutions for 2007 but I am definitely making some for 2008. I've already started jotting them down but need to flesh them out so that they are SMART: specific, measurable, attainable, realistic, and timely. I've got this from HR presentations but it truly is the best way to set goals.

3. Did anyone close to you give birth?

My friend Molly gave birth to her beautiful daughter Madeline in September.

4. Did anyone close to you die?

Thankfully no.

5. What countries did you visit?

This year I visited France, Germany, Czech Republic, Spain, Hungary, Denmark, and Italy. This reminds me that I still have to blog about most of these places I’ve visited.

6. What would you like to have in 2008 that you lacked in 2007?

A work ethic – I seemed to have misplaced it and would like it back.

7. What dates from 2007 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?

June 15 to 28: Italian getaway with Rene
July 9: Started new job
November 20: Started the last year of my 20's

8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?

Paying off 25% of my debt.

9. What was your biggest failure?

Getting into debt.

10. Did you suffer illness or injury?

Real or imagined?

11. What was the best thing you bought?

A little gadget called the iPhone. It revolutionized my life.

12. Whose behavior merited celebration?

My husband Rene – for being so kind, patient, and understanding.

13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?

My own.

14. Where did most of your money go?

Bills, bills, bills!

15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?

During the first half of the year, traveling to Europe for work. During the second half of the year, seeing my credit card balances go down.

16. What song will always remind you of 2007?

Relax by Mika

17. Compared to this time last year, are you:? a) happier or sadder? b) thinner or fatter? c) richer or poorer?

Sadder, a little fatter, and definitely poorer - D’oh!

18. What do you wish you’d done more of?

Exercise

19. What do you wish you’d done less of?

Read gossip mags and gossip sites like Perez Hilton and Pink is the New Blog - these are major time suckers but oh so much fun to read!

20. How did you spend Christmas?

Christmas Eve with Rene's family and Christmas Day with my family, plus lunches and dinner with friends during the holidays.

21. Did you fall in love in 2007?

Yes - with my husband all over again.

22. What was your favorite TV program?

A tie between The Office and Lost.

23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?

Nope, I’m not a hater.

24. What was the best book you read?

Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert.

25. What was your greatest musical discovery?

My husband Rene is the musical explorer, and in my opinion his best finds this year were Yelle and Teddybears.

26. What did you want and get?

An iPhone - see #11 above.

27. What did you want and not get?

A DVD set of Felicity season 1 and a tube of Dior Show mascara.

28. What was your favorite film of this year?

I watch a lot of movies, so here are my picks for the year:

Live Free or Die Hard
Waitress

Knocked Up
Rome season 1 (technically not a movie but worth a mention)

29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?

I celebrated by 29th birthday with family and friends wishing me a happy birthday all day long, followed by a date with my husband in the evening. It's nice to have people remember you, even if it's just a greeting.

30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?

Having no debt

31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2007?

Dressing in layers, and gaining the courage to wear flat shoes and skinny jeans.

32. What kept you sane?

Writing this blog and sharing experiences with other people via their blogs.

33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?

I don't know about "fancy" - Britney Spears held my attention for the entire year. Like most train wrecks, it's hard to watch her fall further from grace but you can't help but look because you want to know how it ends (if it ever ends).

34. What political issue stirred you the most?

Immigration

35. Who did you miss?

My friend Erin who used to work in the same building but moved away to another office in December. The distance makes impromptu coffee breaks hard to come by.

36. Who was the best new person you met?

The collective Blogshere. There are too many awesome people out there to name.

37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2007.

There are two life lessons I learned this year:

Each person is responsible for their own happiness.

We should all strive to be financially independent so that we can pursue our dreams.

38. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.

I’m not afraid of anything in this world
There’s nothing you can throw at me that I haven’t already heard
I’m just trying to find a decent melody
A song that I can sing in my own company
I never thought you were a fool but darling look at you
You gotta stand up straight, carry your own weight
These tears are going nowhere baby

It’s just a moment, this time will pass

Stuck in A Moment by U2

No comments: