Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Superfat Tuesday

Last night, after a long day at work and a visit to the dentist, I parked outside a nondescript church and got in line to vote. It was cold that night, and I was behind a number of people waiting to do the same thing. It was nice to see so many people out at 6:30 pm waiting to cast their ballot when they could be doing so many other things: having dinner, relaxing after work, bonding with their children, or getting much-needed rest. Instead, they were lined up with me because they thought their votes mattered. Just thinking about it made my eyes misty.

This feeling of pride in my fellow Americans was soon diminished by the ignorant old couple behind me. I kept hearing the old lady make references to "making sure the illegals don't vote" and "turning the illegals away," which was so damn offensive. I don't know how in this day and age, in Los Angeles for god's sake, that this kind of talk is considered acceptable to utter in public. I turned around once to give them the stink eye and let them know that kind of talk was not okay. I don't know why illegals would want to vote - if anything, their biggest fear is having their status discovered - and voting would be one of the ways that could happen. I think this big concern about "illegals" voting is thinly veiled prejudice against minorities at the polling place exercising their right as citizens to vote. Being a minority, I might have been an "illegal" to them. This is why it is so important to vote - so that people like this don't win!! I'd never been so determined to vote as last night.

Despite all the hype leading up to Super Tuesday, where primaries took place in over two dozen states, the Democrats have not yet crowned a winner. It takes roughly 2,000 delegates to win the Democratic Party nomination, and right now it's a tight race, with Hillary and Barrack running neck and neck. At least no one lost, and it looks like it's going to be a fight to the finish.

Surprisingly, I am not terribly disappointed by this news. To me, it's been an exciting primary race that encouraged many voters to come out and support their candidate on Tuesday. It seemed like every vote counted, especially in states like Missouri where Obama edged out Hillary by one percent. I hope that this election year mobilizes many more voters, particularly those in my generation, to speak out and vote for their candidate. There was a record turnout in California last night, and to me this is the best part about Super Tuesday.

I also hope that this drawn-out contest between Hillary and Barrack is a fair contest that does not tear the Democratic Party in half. It'd be a shame to have that happen after all their hard work. The worst thing that can happen is for ignorant people like the couple standing behind me last night to have their party and their agenda win. Obviously, that kind of talk is never tolerated by Democrats.

*****

Did you also know that yesterday was Fat Tuesday, the final day of Carnival, and that means that today is the first day of Lent. Fat Tuesday is the last day to party it up before the somber Lent season begins. Anyway, I hope y'all had a great Fat Tuesday and that you have figured out what you are giving up for Lent.

No comments: