Thursday, April 24, 2008

A Vera Lovely Spring

I love spring and all that it represents: awakening, renewal, and growth. I love seeing trees sprouting brand-new leaves, like a bald man whose hair has started growing again. I love seeing flowers bloom from the ground, displaying their colorful petals and shiny leaves. This time of year everything is so gorgeous, especially here in Southern California, that simply being outside is like being in a garden.

My allergies, however, are telling nature to suck it. Every morning this week I’ve woken up to a stuffed (and sometimes leaky) nose. Euhhh! During the day I sneeze about 1,523 times and I constantly scratching my itchy nose and eyes. (No wonder people don't want to shake my hand at work.) I’ve had to start taking my allergy medication this week, which I normally don’t do unless my allergies are superbad (and they are). The thing is, my medication has a teeny, tiny bit of steroids in it to help shrink my sinuses but nowhere near the amount that would, say, cause me to turn into the Ultimate Warrior anything. But still, a part of me thinks that all the tiny steroid amounts I’ve ingested are being stored somewhere in my body and will someday get together and form a revolution. I fear that they will turn me into Vera De Milo from In Living Color (dude, remember that show?!):



It’s just a thought, one of the million random ones I have throughout the day. If you use Flonase or Nasonex, don't you think about it too?

1 comment:

Camels & Chocolate said...

OK! Thank you! I thought I was going crazy. As does my boyfriend. My nose is permanently raw from blowing it, I sneeze no fewer than 30 times an hour (NOT an exaggeration), and my eyes are itchy and nose stuffy. Considering I come from The South -- AKA The Motherland of Allergies -- I was a bit perplexes as to why I would develop them in Northern California.

For the record, I'm home in TN now, and the itching's worse, though the sneezing has subsided. So. Weird.